Sunday, May 1, 2011

Learning to Identify Your Manic Thoughts




I think that you can learn to identify your manic thoughts through experience. I hear about a lot of young people with bipolar disorder who don't want to take their medication and are self-destructive, but many of the older people i've met with the illness have settled down to a decent job and a normal life. I think they've learned to identify their manic thoughts and have more reasonable expectations in life. For me, my manic thoughts often tell me to go off my medication and pursue really far-fetched dreams. I am now learning to recognize these thoughts as unrealistic and staying on my current path. My manic thoughts will tell me to drop everything i'm doing and pursue rock stardom, or artistic fame, or poker stardon and other things. For example, I was watching a UFC fight last night with some friends and I started thinking to myself how i should stop taking my medication and train to be a fighter. I was seriously wanted to do it, but then I caught myself. An inner voice said, "thats nuts, just stay on your meds and keep doing what you're doing, which is trying to help people." I don't even know how to fight at all. I often get "inspired" in these kinds of ways, but now I see these thoughts for what they are, mania; a symptom of a disease. Its good to have dreams, but its important that these dreams are reasonable. I still want to pursue art and music, but these are things i can do in my spare time. I'm spending most of time right now trying to help people with mood disorders and anxiety and i think that i'm finally satisfied with that. I'm tired of chasing my manic dreams and only ending up disappointed, frustrated and exhausted.


Hope you're feeling well


No comments:

Post a Comment