Saturday, February 13, 2010

Learn To Forgive Yourself

If you have bipolar disorder and you want to be happy in life you must learn to forgive yourself, because not everything you do is in your control.

You may get depressed or angry and lash out at someone, or isolate yourself from everyone, or blame other people for your problems. You need to realize that this is what people with bipolar disorder do sometimes and it isn't always your fault.

You may get into a manic or hypomanic state and desperately reach out to other people, or feel like your too good for some people, or get shit-faced drunk and make an ass out of yourself. You need to forgive yourself, apologize if you've hurt someone, learn from your mistakes, and then get back to living.

I have destroyed some personal relationships and damaged others. I have spent a lot of time hating myself and feeling ashamed because of this, but I refuse to blame myself any longer. I've stopped drinking, i've stopped gambling, i've done everyhting I could to be a better person, but this disorder often causes me to screw up in some way. That is just the way it is.

Forgiving yourself doesn't imply that you should do whatever you want without regard for others just because you're sick. It means that you should do what is in your power, but not blame yourself for things that aren't.

Learn more about bipolar disorder at www.depressiondodging.com/whatisbipolardisorder.html

No comments:

Post a Comment